Friday, February 19, 2016

That's a thing, right?

Skincare. It's something I have pretty much never given much thought to. Over the past, I've come to a few realizations about my perceptions of my body:

1. My idea of how my body should function is kinda vague and I really didn't expect to feel like things were falling apart (several bouts of tendinitis back to back, aching joints, constipation etc.) until at least 30 years old. I'm currently 27.
2. My idea of how my skin should look is COMPLETELY based on various media representations. Celebs all have flawless skin because they use make-up and probably pay somebody to figure things out for them.
3. And that goes for wrinkles too. Are forehead wrinkles in your mid/late-20's normal? Well, they must be because I have them now.

I guess I should consider myself lucky (thanks for the genetics, Mama, no seriously they're great) since my acne only crops up in response to stress/certain foods and I certainly don't look older than I am. In fact, last October, a bunch of teenagers thought I was in the late-teens. Nope, I'm actually married and have about a decade on you guys. I guess that means my personality was very accessible for them? That's good, I think. Teens are tricky. I try to treat them like rational people and that seems to help, even though everybody knows teens are pretty irrational (it's a biological thing with adolescence) and even they are aware of it even if they deny it profusely.

Anyway, after a day or two of considering to use some expensive anti-wrinkle products to try and rejuvenate a face that really needs no rejuvenating, I decided to invest in some skincare products to help protect my skin, at the very least. I didn't do much in the ways of washing/moisturizing prior to this. My forehead gets super oily, the rest of my face is probably pretty dry. I just rinse my face in the shower, maybe wipe it with a wet wash cloth, and that's it. I rarely wear make-up and when I do, it's all around my eyes anyway. I'm lazy and just want to feel like I'm taking good care of my skin without much additional effort.

I came across Fat Face Skincare. Their products aren't that much more expensive than major name brand skincare products and I really like their ingredients. Tallow in a body butter? Some might say "ew", but I say "cool!" Not only does the tallow they use come from pasture-raised cows (a good life for them), but tallow carries all kinds of helpful nutrients for the human body. I'll let you browse the site for more info.


One of the things I bought is an oil cleansing blend. If you haven't heard of it before, it's basically using an oil or mix of oils to rub on your face and then wipe off. This particular oil blend is vegan (no animal products in it or used in the making of it). The cleansing oil picks up the oils on your skin and when you wipe it off, you skin is left with the clean and healing cleansing oil instead of the dirty oil that's been on your face all day.  Apparently this works very well for removing face make-up! I usually rub my Cleansing Oil onto my face when it's dry (often after a shower), then lay a hot wash cloth over my face for 30-60 seconds (I'm impatient) to let my pores open up. I wring the cloth out first so I don't burn myself, my tap water gets very hot! After that, I just wipe the oil off with the same cloth. When the last bit of water evaporates, I follow up with the Mrryhaculous Face Cream.


The name says it all, this stuff is really miraculous. If I'm having a small acne outbreak (why is it always on my chin??), I can rub a tiny amount of this on the blemish and it's usually gone in the morning! Before this, I'd use tea tree oil, which is very drying and didn't always seem to work. A little goes a long way with this product, the recommended "pea sized" amount is possibly too much for me. I get the tiniest bit on my finger tip and rub into one area of my face at a time (cheeks, chin, nose, bridge, and forehead/temples). I use this very sparingly on my forehead because it still gets pretty oily. The rest of my face feels even softer than it usually does and I really love the smell.

I think I'll try their Stank Stop next. I have a different deodorant that's oil/shea butter based that I use right now, but I'm not completely happy with it. My pits get really irritated if I use it for a couple of weeks at a time, but without the baking soda, my BO is frankly disgusting. Your welcome for that overshare. A slightly different formula may be better for me, who knows!

So why am I bothering with this if my skin is usually fine? I guess I want to prepare my face for the future. The better care I take with my skin now, by moisturizing and protecting it from the sun, the better it'll look as I get older. Though, again, thanks to my mom, I still think I'll look pretty good in another thirty years. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment