Thursday, January 14, 2016

Getting back to me

Last year, I caught the weight-lifting bug from CrossFit and then ended up spending the rest of the year in physical therapy for my wrists, shoulders, and now back. To be fair, this was CrossFit on top of an insane amount of shoveling all on my own, so I don't completely blame CF for this.

Well, the back issues might have been from doing aggressive pilates at home. Who knows. I didn't get to ride my bicycle to work, something that I have looked forward to doing every year for the past several years.

I spent most of the year feeling pretty sorry for myself, so I guess in retrospect it's not that surprising that I ended up incredibly depressed starting around June. I pretty much crashed by October and the psychiatrist I was seeing at the time hospitalized me against my will. That's not an experience I'm willing to write about further just yet. It's safe to say that it was fairly traumatic to have that decision taken away from me, though the experience in the hospital was not all that horrible.

Now that my shoulders are better, my wrists are pretty much healed, and my back is improving, I'm getting back into working out. I got a membership at Gold's Gym and had a few free personal training sessions. I didn't entirely agree with the trainer's approach to fitness (though she was very supportive over focusing on strength over "weight loss"), but it was still helpful to get some outside perspective. I've done some of my own research on what kind of regular routine I'd like to do.


My main focus now is starting at Orange Theory Fitness. I don't think I can explain it well, but it's basically hour-long classes of HIIT (high-intensity interval training). The class gets split between the rowers/weight section and treadmills, and you swap halfway through. You wear a heartrate monitor the whole time and the whole aim is to get your heart rate up and down to really put it through its paces. There's some possibly nonsense "science" behind all of this leading to weight loss or something. I'm just interested in feeling like my endurance is good (could run a mile if I needed to) and strong enough to jump/climb/lift as much as I might want.

And maybe I'll do barbell training on the side, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment