Monday, January 20, 2014

Link love - Monday edition


  • I hope I am not the only person who does this. My grandmother's house is incredibly dear to me. My grandfather designed it & helped build it. While he did not wield all the trucks & hammers that put it together, we generally say he built it himself. Over the years, not much has changed as far as interior decor goes, but recently, some changes have been made in bed sizes, wall colors, and drapery. It gets me thinking about what it might look like in the future, after my grandmother has passed. I realize this is kind of morbid and I really don't want anyone to think that I want my grandmother to DIE so that we can renovate the interior. In fact, I was hoping to take a weekend trip up sometime this spring or summer & offer to paint some of the bedrooms for her (she told me she wants to change the colors on the 2nd floor). This post got me thinking about the style of the place. I'm not a huge fan of mid-century design, but the colors in the bedroom image & tile in the eating area are really appealing to me.
    From here
    I definitely think the 2nd floor should have the carpeting removed & hardwood floors installed someday (if only to get rid of the orange carpets). I would love to paint the bedrooms up there a pale gray-blue or soft gray, with white ceilings.
  • There is no such thing as bullying - a good read. If the title makes you go, "UM EXCUSE ME", read it because you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • 5 Warnings Signs Your Home Isn't Working For You - This doesn't mean you have to move, but maybe your "systems" need some re-working. I am spending a lot of time on Apartment Therapy lately. The homing bug has bit. I am totally not browsing Craigslist for houses... Okay, my parents are doing some renovation stuff so that is probably a huge factor. Mama, if you want help painting next weekend, let me know & hand me a roller!
In non-link news, I have been making good progress on my winter clean-up. I haven't done much of the computer stuff except identify which fan is failing (rear case fan). I've done some of the clothes stuff & found homes for things in the guest bedroom that had been lingering since we moved in August/September. Next step is opening up my storage opportunities by getting some plastic bins & cheap shelving units. Target, here I come. I also really, really, really want to hang some shelves in a few spots in the apartment, but since we don't own the place, I don't really want to make holes that I'll have to fix later. The bathroom would do well with some shelves over the toilet and there are a few spots in the sunroom that would be really practical with some shelving. Not to mention cozy. I can't wait until we own a place.

Oh yeah, we installed a pull-up bar this weekend. I can't wait to get ripped. One pull-up is my goal for the year. That may sound tiny, but DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD PULL-UPS ARE?

No comments:

Post a Comment