Tuesday, November 12, 2013

50-acre Woods

SONY DSC

Hulky and I went up to Maine this past weekend to spend some time with my Baba. We had perfect fall weather and went for a hike in the woods. My grandmother owns some fifty acres of forest up there.

SONY DSC

This is The Park. The trees are all fairly slim. Years ago, my dad, sister and I would walk around here, clearing dead trees & low branches. It just needs a little cleaning up now. The trees have kind of taken care of themselves over the years.

SONY DSC

The path that used to cut from the pond back through the property across the pond is fairly overgrown now. I wonder what it would take to clear it.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

The water level at the swamp is either different than I remember at this time of year or it has just changed over time. That grassy area used to have more water.

SONY DSC

I remember struggling to climb up this rock as a kid.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

The sounds in here were so familiar to me. We took a few moments to just listen to the quiet. My tinnitus didn’t seem nearly as loud. The rustling in the distance made me think of the highway you can always hear at home, but it was all trees and wind. I forgot what it was like to crunch through those woods. We wondered what it would be like to camp out in the woods sometime, though unfortunately, the ideal season for that (minimal bugs) is also the most dangerous (hunters).

SONY DSC

Back at the house, the view from the porch of Baba’s driveway and the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment