Monday, August 05, 2013

“She walks on gold.”

After we surprised Baba (and everyone else) by getting married at our engagement party last month, she let us know in no uncertain terms that a certain ceremony would need to take place. Soon. More then ever, Baba is constantly reminding us of her mortality. It’s awkward, sad, but I can’t help find it a little amusing too.

First stop of the weekend was breakfast at Percy’s, at Popham Beach. One of my favorite places. We played the old game of reading the provided Trial Pursuit cards to each other. They are rather outdated. I couldn’t tell you what I learned anymore. I think I used to know the answers to the Silverscreen cards a lot better as a kid. After breakfast, we headed into town for provisions (re: clothes) and then to Baba’s.

SONY DSC

I haven’t gotten the full story yet, but there’s some family tradition surrounding putting a gold coin in the left shoe of the bride before she leaves the house for the temple or church on the morning of her wedding. I couldn’t find any information about this online, but she insists it’s a Russian tradition, not just family. No one else seemed to know it except from her.

So, we gathered.

SONY DSC

It was gorgeous out. We rode bikes around the property. We nibbled some wild gooseberries (very tasty).

My dad put the coin in the shoe. I walked to the front door, back, and then we drank some mead that my grandfather had bottled in the mid-‘90s. It was a little bitter.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

Baba was pleased, that’s all that matters. I’m not doing my weekend justice. It was really amazing. We went to dinner, drank more, got interviewed by a family friend on her camcorder (it’ll be amusing to see my drunken responses at some point), got home, read, drank more, and went to bed. The second bottle of booze (not sure what it was) was much better, very sweet, bottled in 1983.

The next day, my husband (!!!) and I slept in, had breakfast, and read some more until it was time to go. We checked out an Irish bar in town, which looks like it’d be a fun place for food and drinks if we could stay in town sometime. It would not be wise to make the 8 mile drive over the river and through the woods to Baba’s, in the dark, with any alcohol in the system!

Baba told me, “She walks on gold.” I wrote it down on a scrap of paper so I wouldn’t forget it. I can hear it in her accent in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment