Monday, July 15, 2013

Initial reflections: weddings, love, shock

IMG_20130713_174221_928-MOTION

The outpouring of love that comes with a wedding is an incredible thing to be a part of. Now, I’m lucky enough to be on the receiving end.

1373751578-2599884

I’m married now. Can you believe it? I barely can. It took me long enough to adjust to the idea of having a fiancĂ©. My boyfriend was suddenly packaged with this promise of something even more. There’s so much promise for the future. He’s my husband. Getting married was exactly what I wanted it to be. I’ve tried many times to capture the whole concept in words, but it’s just too complex. It’s too wrapped up in who we are as people, our values, and who we are as a couple.

Now, it’s even LEGALLY BINDING.

Holy whatever. I’m psyched to file taxes next year.

The photos are trickling in, mostly from one person so far, but the wedding-haze that surrounds my memories is lifted a little even from this brief glimpse into what it looked like on the other side of the pool.

2013-07-13 17.38.58
The look on everyone’s face when we told them what was about to happen was priceless. I hope there are pictures of that. People left their jaws hanging for quite a while, and there were a few tears. Not from Baba, though. I was expecting her to freak out, but I think that was mostly from my anxiety. She took it very well and was completely ecstatic. I’m just so damn happy that she could make it. I’m just so damn happy. I choked up a bit when my mother-in-law (!!!!! I have one now!!!!) and my mom teared up. I think my dad went into shock. He may still be in shock. He reminded me that he and my mother got married maybe 50 feet from where we stood, in the dining room of the first house I lived in. Have I ever mentioned that we literally moved right around the corner? I remember getting caught sitting in my parents’ bedroom window, legs dangling outside, watching our former neighbors swim in what is now our pool.

Some folks couldn’t make it to the engagement-party-turned-surprise-wedding and I do feel bad that we couldn’t risk telling them about our big secret! I hope we can have another huge party, maybe a little more formal, definitely with some dancing, later down the line, and that everyone we want there can be there. We’ll see what life brings.

1373811050-2582995

The past few months have been stressful for many reasons, including to an extent, the keeping of the greatest secret I have had yet. It is such a relief to know that our journey has started and our friends and family have our backs.

(photos courtesy of Anders O and Sam P)

1 comment: