Friday, April 19, 2013

Mind bleep

There’s no easy way to talk about what happened this week. People are dealing with it in their own ways. I’ve seen a lot of people go to social media, sharing tweets and posting regular updates about their feelings and experiences. It’s actually kind of interesting (to me) to see how other people cope.

I mean, I didn’t, for the first few days. Cope, that is.

How do I cope? Well, I’m pretty sure most people spend their entire lives figuring that out. This week, I realized a little too late, as I was struggling to keep my composure at work, that I needed to deal with what was going on. I took the afternoon off on Wednesday and spent time with Hulky. It was a great afternoon actually, especially after taking the time to talk about the bombings with him. It’s so relieving to have someone on the same page as you.

I’m at the point where I can find humor in the situation, but only to an extent. I’m not saying that what happened was funny! Dear Whatever, no way would I ever say that. There is definitely a limit and definitely a long “too soon” in place for me. What’s funny is the attempts at making a blunder seem light-hearted. It’s easy to pick on the police. Donut jokes all around (Dunkin Donuts was open everywhere despite lockdown). Coordinating errors turn into Starcraft jokes while folks tune in to the blotters. Peoples’ LIVES ARE ON THE LINE HERE, I know, but sometimes you just have to give up and realize that, were it not for the mortality at hand, this would be humorous. It’s a form of disassociation, I suppose, when the situation is so overwhelmingly close to home.

I coulda been a therapist, I tell ya.

No, not really, but I’m getting buzzed on Black Russians now. Should be an uneventful night in the hood. Nobody will read this anyway.

IMAG0752They say pictures attract people to read blogs. I got nothing. I refreshed my theme back to my favorite: magnolias. I took the picture in the background. It’s either from Harvard Square or Washington DC. Either way, much love associated with it. Today, I guess you can have this, which is cloudy white magnolias (I prefer the pink ones, shockingly enough) on the way to Alewife Station. My phone no longer focuses on things closer up, thanks to me dropping it multiple times. Hooray!

 

Listening to: Macklemore’s “The Heist” (the whole album)

Things that make me happy today: Magnolias and post-apocalyptic sci-fi movies (Oblivion, which was pretty good, but too many romantic scenes).

No comments:

Post a Comment