Monday, January 28, 2013

Donny, you’re out of your element!

Yeah, to be honest, I’m probably going to gush about the fact that I’m GETTING MARRIED for a while. Deal with it.

Or don’t, that’s your choice.

But this is my space to write, so I’m gonna write about it.

The fiancé (the novelty of being able to honestly use that word is going to take a while to wear off) and I have been day-dreaming about getting married for a while. Discussions started over a year ago, but life happened and we focused on other things. Towards the end of last year, it came up again and, well, here we are. Engaged.

engaged

Yeah. I made that. I’ve been wanting that image to exist and I didn’t find one, so there. I hope someone else thinks it’s as funny as I do. Even if they don’t, I think it’s hilarious, so it’s all good.

Discussing things like engagement parties with my fiancé’s family last night, I felt a little overwhelmed. Already? Yeah, that’s how I roll. I stress. I worry. And I don’t want to plan a party. I just want to plan a wedding. Somebody else gets to figure out things like engagement parties, right? I just tell them who I want to be there. That’s easier.

Our families still need to meet. Well, “need” is a relative term. I’d like for them to meet.

Telling my grandmother last night about our engagement was the highlight of the whole weekend. She told me I made her year. We’re pretty sure we want to get hitched in Maine, on my grandmother’s property. When I told her that, I got a moment of silence, and then possibly the loudest I have ever heard her spoken.

“WOW.”

She was ecstatic. “Deeply touched.” There is absolutely no way I am not going to let this work, now. I can’t wait to show her the ring, I think she’ll love it. We’re hoping to pop up for a visit sometime in February, car-willing (it needs some work, and no, unfortunately I’m not talking about the Mustang, though that’s still not ready either).

Weather, clothes, transportation, parking, shade…cost… there’s a lot to consider with an outdoor slightly-destination wedding. We’ll figure it out.

I’m pretty sure I want a pig on a spit, though. Vegans, beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment