Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas ain't over yet!

My long holiday weekend was excellent. I strayed down a sugary, delicious path and ate copious amounts of homemade cookies. They were all wonderful. I got some cool loot, but I truly do enjoy giving gifts even more. I didn't get to finish making my boyfriend's gift(s), but he wasn't ready with mine either, so our holiday season is extended for some undetermined amount of time. Exciting! I gave some of my Utility Sauce to my family members and a slightly customized Sgt. Pepper jacket (it's neon yellow/green) to my brother. He looks awesome in it.

I felt like this was a really grown-up Christmas for me. I know, we were living in the apartment last year too, but this year, I spent more time at home with my boyfriend (and our fat cat). It felt really fulfilling to feel like I had somewhere to go back to. I guess I felt a bit in limbo before, not completely feeling like the apartment was a home yet. Recently, I looked around and thought, "Damn, where am I going to put [some thing]?" Realizing that I had to find space for something really solidified the concept of the apartment as my home. It's something about it being my mess that I'm responsible for, both in the creation and cleaning of. If someone were to come in and tell me to clean it up, they'd be wrong, because it's not their space. I don't know why it took me so long to feel this way, but it's wonderful!

I was convinced I would come back here after Christmas with photos to share, but I didn't pick up the camera at all. All I've got are some risque gingerbread cookies (NSFW).

And now, a link for your enjoyment.
  • The friendship contract - I've shared articles from this blogger before, but this one came up the other day and is very relevant to some of my current thinking. I am not always the most reliable friend, and I often feel like I am investing a lot of time and energy into relationships that are one-way. Whether or not that is actually true, I don't know. I don't think it matters. It would be interesting and potentially really nice, if it worked out, to make a contract like this with a friend. Sometimes, even just scheduling regular chats (online) or times to hang-out that must be kept (monthly meetings, or the same date every year, no matter what!), can be really effective to keep people in contact.

Hot damn, I am really looking forward to New Year's Even. Medieval Manor, here we come (again)!

1 comment:

  1. Hey. It's Venus.
    Each friendship is different with different expectations. For example, my friend Laura is still my friend even though I haven't talked to her for years. If she contacted me one day, it would be like nothing happened.
    I have some unreliable friends and when I make plans with them, I know that it might actually be a month before I see them because we're both busy.
    My best friend and I try to see each other every week. My other best friend and I try to talk on the phone at least once a month (he's in CA).
    There have been a few times recently when I've made it clear that I need to have some friends there for me-- and they've shown up and helped. For example, I recently got really upset at my best friend and I needed to rely on other friends. They were there.
    I wouldn't hold it against yourself to be unreliable. Your true friends will understand.

    ReplyDelete