Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Links for a Wednesday

  • How to NOT Gain Weight During the Holidays – Here’s the thing: what’s so bad about this? Okay, yes, maybe you are actively trying to lose weight, or for whatever reason, you cannot allow any excess bodyfat aside from what you have to be added onto your frame (medical reasons are a good one), but gaining weight in the winter time is not such a bad thing. It’s a personal decision, I suppose. You can chose to eat well, in the manner of your choosing, in a way that will not make you gain excess body fat, or, you can choose to indulge a little more, or eat more starches, and put on a little fat to keep you cozy this winter. I’m not saying eat all the pie (but maybe you should, pie is delicious), but don’t deny yourself things if you really want them! And no, I don’t condone “everything in moderation”, I’m just saying that you should be happy with your choices, and not resentful. I’m probably not going to eat many grain-based foods and that is partially choice, partially necessity, but I’m happy with my options.

Note: I have no idea of a little fat would actually keep you cozy. I was pretty uncomfortable with myself 15 lbs ago (two years ago), so I can’t speak from personal experience. I just thought it sounded cute. Sometimes I think I wouldn’t mind being a little curvier, but then I get anxious about it and am pretty happy with how things are now.

  • 5 Excuses that Keep You Unhealthy (and how to Destroy Them) – I’ve fought with all of these points at various times. I feel like I’ve mostly gotten a handle on 1-3, but 4 and 5 are still pretty tricky. I hate running because it’s physically difficult for me. Not (just) because I’m out of shape, but because my hips are perpetually crooked and it makes it difficult for me to place my feet the same way. I don’t like people to see me, so I don’t run. The solution to my problems is “just do it”. Budget allowing, I plan on signing up for some kind of fitness class offered by my town’s community group this Spring.
  • I don’t want to have a baby – I wonder, sometimes, how many other women are out there in the world, in situations similar to mine (financial, age, relationship status…any or all of the above), who feel conflicted about this. I grew up seeing most parents around the same age as my own. They had kids in their late-20s or early-30s. As I reached legal adulthood, I started noticing more people close to my age having kids, even right out of high school. I know a married 25-year-old mother of 3, who I believe wants more kids. I feel terribly confused about it. I have no idea what the right choice is for me. I am afraid to write about it because I’m afraid of being judged. I want a baby (someday), but sometimes I want one now. I wish it was as simple as blaming it on hormonal fluctuations, but it never is. The good thing is, when you have a trusting and loving partner, if they aren’t ready, that kind of keeps things at a standstill. That is probably for the best.

That last link goes to my new favorite blog. It’s really brilliant. Reading her articles makes me feel enlightened and brave. It makes me want to write more, about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment