Wednesday, September 12, 2012

For the future of applesauce

  • Awesome, awesome, awesome body image post – Full of even more links! There may be some links that are rather women-specific, but the message is the same for anyone: learn your value outside of the number on the scale.

I made applesauce last night. I peeled and chopped up on McIntosh and one Gala apple, tossed them in a pot, and added less than 1” of water (ended up being too much, but it cooked off easily since my pot lid doesn’t fit tightly). I cooked it on fairly high heat until it got to bubbling, then lowered to medium heat for about 10 minutes, with the occasional mash/stir with a plastic whisk. I sprinkled on some pumpkin pie spice when the consistency seemed good, burnt my tongue thoroughly, and enjoyed the hell out of it on some homemade yogurt.

Warm applesauce and cool yogurt. So good.

The applesauce is chunky and naturally sweet, just how I like it. It tasted just like how I remember Baba’s tasted when I was little.

Yeah, so I’m nearly out of yogurt again :). Looks like a trip to Whole Foods is in order soon!

I’m hoping to get up to Baba’s house in Maine soon, maybe this weekend, so I can steal her canning supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment