Monday, August 06, 2012

What’s in front of me these days

Title gleaned from Manchester Orchestra’s “Where Have You Been?”

Dreaming about home

Lately, I’ve been finding myself dreaming of owning a home. I realize that this dream is probably many years from actually coming true. I would need to be in a much more stable (and fruitful) financial situation to buy a home and be able to afford any repairs required, as well as taxes and regular maintenance. But it’s nice to think about being able to do anything in your own living space. My landlady approved painting the chair rail in the kitchen blue ages ago, but I still haven’t gotten around to doing it. I think doing something small like that might help me feel more “at home” in the apartment, as well as changing up some of the art work and photos I have up.

I also really want a different couch. Ours is huge, which is great, but torn up and I don’t like the texture of the fabric. It has a broken pull-out bed, and I don’t think I need to explain anymore why that’s annoying. Ikea has some really great (and fairly affordable) options, but before anything, I think we need to be a little more concerned about having our own washer and dryer :) We’re coming up on 1 yr at the apartment. 1 year feels like a long time ago…and yet it also really just feels like 1 year.

Fitness goals

Aside from the biking stuff, I’d like to be able to do 1 real push-up (hands positioned under shoulders, knees off the floor), but after talking to a few different women about it, it seems like our structure might not support this kind of push-up. Some women can do it, obviously, I’ve seen it done, but I’m not sure I’m designed to be able to. It’s okay if I can’t, I’m still going to work towards it. I can almost do a wide-arm push-up, and my max # of kneeling push-ups is slowly increasing. I also figured out another good strength marker: to be able to comfortably lift 50 lbs. I think a kettlebell would be the best way to test this (not going to buy a 50 lb kettlebell right now though!). I’ve seen job listings for my kind of position requiring the ability to lift 30-50 lbs in the past, so I think it’s a good goal. I am sure I can lift/carry 30 lbs now, but for how long? 50 lbs, I feel like I might hurt myself right now. Gotta work on those squats.

Taking a banana break while out on my bike

I’m getting more and more interested in Crossfit, but most of what I’ve read indicates that it’s better suited to people who are already athletic or very active. I am neither, right now, and even when I hit my fitness goals, I have no gym/equipment experience. Well, the budget does not allow this right now anyway, so it’s something to think on for later, but not to worry about. I love the inclusion of gymnastic exercises, which is something that I’ve always found appealing, but have always sucked at! Practice makes perfect, or better, at least. And hey, if I do Crossfit someday, I’ve already got the diet down.

Keeping offline on the weekend

A few months ago, I set myself a limit to how late in the night I was allowed to check email (7 PM). I am a compulsive email checker and found myself feeling irrationally irritated when I would have no new emails at 9:30 PM at night. It was silly so I stopped checking. Now I’m working on cutting back on things like Facebook and Tumblr too, because they’re big time wasters for me, and I think I would sleep better with less screen-time in the evening. In order to successfully stay offline, I need things to do! Over the weekend, I failed miserably at staying offline, opting to play Skyrim and Borderlands instead of going online, but it kept my brain way too active on Sunday night, making it hard for me to fall asleep. It wasn’t a good trade-off. I have a dress project that I’m working on, but I only have the patience to work on it for a little bit at a time. I think I will spend some time writing out potential projects and take inventory of my supplies. Perhaps I can spare a little money for more supplies, if there’s a project I know I would want to work on, but I just don’t have what I need to complete it.

No comments:

Post a Comment