Friday, July 13, 2012

Now in Technicolor!


Boyfriend and I are big movie watchers. I grew up watching a lot of classic Hollywood cinema, with actors such as Gene Kelly (a crush of mine), Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Audrey and Katherine Hepburn, Carey Grant ('nother crush), Jimmy Stewart... I could go on. Off the top of my  head, two favorites old-Hollywood classics are Singin’ In the Rain and The Philadelphia Story. Watching White Christmas and The Bishop's Wife with my family was an annual tradition for many years (and now that I think of it, watching so many musicals as a kid is probably why I often imagine myself walking around to a soundtrack). Boyfriend and I go to a lot of first-night showings. We're picky, we do pay attention to ratings, but generally agree more with audiences than critics. Even with films like X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I can see how awful they are (plot problems, bad make-up, bad stunts etc.), but it does not stop me from enjoying it.

 

I can’t say what makes a movie “good” to me, there are a lot of things that factor into that rating and it varies from film to film. For something like a Sci-Fi or Fantasy flick, it generally leaves me with a craving for knowledge of the unknown. Space! Aliens! Magic! Sometimes I am inspired to write. Sometimes I am inspired to educate myself on something new (like building hobbit-hole houses out of recycled materials). When I saw Harriet the Spy as a kid, I collected as many of the odd materials as she uses for her spying as I could and tried to set myself off on adventures. Unfortunately, there was nothing that interesting happening in my neighborhood, so that phase lasted a couple of days.

So badass.

I think the movies I like best leave me with a sense of adventure. The X-men films accomplish this quite easily, introducing a world so similar to our own, but with the introduction of mutated humans. I love the idea that there could be something hidden in our world that makes such a difference in our quality of life and interactions. After the first film came out in 2000, you can bet I spent some quality time trying to hone my yet-to-be-discovered mutated skills (hint: they never happened). Even now, I love the feeling that there could be something more in the world than we know right now.

We are both looking forward to the final installment of the new Batman trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises. I felt the newest movies provided a fresh, mature, and more realistic look into the life of the billionaire vigilante known as Batman, especially when compared to the Batman films created by Tim Burton. The Joker, as represented by Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight, is a believable exaggeration of the mad terrorists that many Americans fear are out to get us, except made even more frightening as he has his way with our home turf. Could Batman really exist in our world? Probably not, unless he was also a master hacker and could cover his tracks that way, but it’s nice to imagine a world in which he could exist, though not one where he’d be needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment