Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Some links for a Tuesday

IOU: a post on my new tattoo and how it’s doing (sore, at the moment, and slightly bruised), how I’m currently managing my depression and anxiety. But, for now, have some links!

  • Undervaluing and overvaluing the role of a therapist – I have been in and out of therapy for the past 8 years, at least. I haven’t gone consistently (once every week, two weeks, or monthly) since 2006, but I’m now 2 sessions in with a new therapist that I really like. I think it can be really easy to go either way (undervalue or overvalue) if you’ve ever had a bad experience in therapy, and it’s important to try and be objective about your feelings about therapy, both in and out of the session. I appreciate the personal touch in Vanessa’s post and found it very relatable despite only having been on the patient-side of the experience.
  • The China Study – Fact or Fallacy – I stumbled across this blog the other day while doing some idle research on The China Study (book released in 2004 that uses falsified statistics and data to “prove” that a plant based diet is best for optimal human health). The blogger warns you ahead of time, her posts on the subject are long, but she took the time to analyze the data for you. She’s very hands-off on her findings, which I like, so I didn’t get the sense that she was trying to “convert” anyone to any one way of eating, but just give you the facts and break it down for you. I think it’s really important for people to read posts like this if they aren’t going to do their own research (what the blogger did) and make sure they understand what they are supporting. I have seen and heard so many people sing the praises of this book, and it makes me very sad that they cling to it as a valid argument when the data is wrong. I’m not sure how you can legitimately build an argument from lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment