Friday, April 20, 2012

Links for thought

  • What’s the point of getting out of debt anyway? – This post served as a much-needed reminder for why I am being anal retentive about my budget. It’s been a tough month for me, and for Mr. Boyfriend, and I ended up having to say goodbye to my normal budgeting practices to make ends meet, and then some. I am incredibly lucky to have savings bonds (series EE), purchased by my grandparents when I was very young, and so most of them are near maturity by now (most have had at least 10 years added to the maturity dates due to discontinuation). I have a lot of things to look forward to, short term and long term, so making mental lists of these things on occasion helps me get past the spending urges. Unfortunately, I wasn’t as stead-fast this past month, ordering dinner out too often, buying a game I haven’t played much, and am now paying for it, literally. As always, “tomorrow will be different” and I keep ploughing ahead.
  • 5 Common Nutrient Deficiencies (and What To Do About Them) – Supplementing Vitamin D over the recommended daily amount (400-4000 IU), at 10,000 IU per day, allowed me to get through Winter without any seasonal depression and has continued to help me get through rainy days with little mood trouble. The nutrients listed in the article are fairly easy to get tested at your doctor’s office, though a thorough thyroid test (not just the TSH or T3) may take some more finagling. I think it’s important for everyone to at least have a baseline for their own health by getting these tests. I had a very low level of Vitamin D when last tested, in July of 2011, and am going to re-test for my annual physical this year. I have high hopes!
  • A Beer Drinker’s Primal Story – I love me a good success story, especially for middle-aged folks. It makes me hopeful that someday my parents will see the light and give this way of eating a shot.
  • Admitting defeat – Yesterday, I had a bad day. I was feeling depressed and very frustrated about a lot of things. I started to feel better once I admitted defeat! Yeah, yesterday sucked, but since there’s nothing I can do about it, there’s no point worrying. Sometimes a good night’s sleep is all I need to get over a bad mood, but yesterday I just needed to remember that I was going to feel better by the morning, so I might as well quit griping now. I’m not always that lucky, sometimes I am too wrapped up in the bad mood to quit it, but it worked it well for me today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment