Wednesday, March 07, 2012

I’m bashing in the slums.

418099_1519223940530_1232460239_31119980_214900836_n

OH GODS WHAT ARE YOU DOING WHAT IS THIS WHY WOULD YOU SUBJECT ME TO THIS GODS WHY AAHH MY EYEESSSSS

So that’s about what my brain did when I swapped this photo out for my default in a few corners of the internet. Why? Well my daily self-portrait project isn’t really happening this month, but I figure I could embarrass myself enough with the occasional shot and analysis.

Source: self-facing camera in Droid Incredible 2

Location: 3rd floor restroom at work

Subject: Me, duh. I edited the photo using a built-in effects option to boost the contrast and I quite like the effect. Not-quite-monochromatic with the flush in my cheeks and splash of purple in my hair. So what’s the issue with this picture? Lighting and expression. I think this photo is actually interesting for the symmetry aspects. There are some slight deviations, with the stall doors behind me, the nostril piercing, the hair parting, but I’m even centered between the stall doors for the most part, and the shadows are fairly symmetrical (especially across my cheeks from the glasses. I don’t like how the light makes my nose look bigger/rounder than I think it actually is. I think my expression is a bit odd. I don’t do fake smiles well and generally consider myself fairly unphotogenic, so I just looked when I took the shot. Maybe it’s the nose-shadow (another thing I don’t like), but I feel like my slips are slightly turned up at the edges, giving a kind of hollow-smile feel to it. I think with an improvement to the expression, the overall tone and framing of the image are pretty good.

All in all, considering the lighting, I think it’s kind of a fun photo, and I like the crispness of it. It’s framed fairly well for a headshot, though a bit more space would probably be desirable overhead for something more formal. It’ll do as an online ID for now, though I’m on the hunt for something more flattering and “pleasant” for long-term use.

No comments:

Post a Comment