Monday, January 02, 2012

Keeping myself accountable

There’s a mentality I’m trying to break with my modified Whole 30 (also excludes tomatoes, citrus, vinegar, and eggs, to try to find food allergies) that I’m doing this January, and that is the “just this once” mentality. Just one candy and it won’t really count as cheating because calorically and nutritionally it’s so minor. Just one book and I’d probably buy it at the end of the month when I’ve saved some money anyway. Just one bookcase because I could really use it now or soon for aesthetic purposes as well as practical. Just this one time, I’ll buy this thing, and it’s no big deal because it’s cheap, right?

NO. NO NO NO NO. NO. NO.

It’s hard to let go of. Last night I picked up a tin of delicious candies that my grandmother gave me for Christmas and thought “Just one.” I was shocked! Here I am, gearing up for this whole month of accountability by starting a thread to get other people on board, and I’m already ready to cheat on the evening of day 1! How can I make this lifestyle last a lifetime if I can’t last one day? Don’t worry, I’m not really down on myself because ultimately, I didn’t buy the bookcase or book, and I didn’t eat the candy (my boyfriend did though and I enjoyed it vicariously). I have a new sense of pride, even from that one single day of success (so far) because I haven’t let myself or my fellow Whole 30-ers down. I proudly posted today about yesterday’s success and am looking forward to consuming the rest of today’s success (chicken thighs with something else delicious) when I get home from work.

Even Mark is talking about accountability today. Sweet! I am going to send in my own bathing suit photo with the hope that I will have more muscle definition to show off later in the year.

End of month goals:

-Strive for 100% compliance with my diet for 3 weeks and start introducing eliminated foods for a few days at a time to monitor for symptoms (eggs, tomatoes, citrus, vinegar, in that order). If symptoms have not improved after 3 weeks, continue for whole month until appointment.

-Save money! I can’t set a real amount here because this is my base month, to see how much I can realistically save while paying loans, bills, groceries, and rent. At the end of the month, I may buy myself one new book, or something for the apartment (like a tall bookcase). No matter what, I WILL be getting a pull-up bar!

-Be able to do 10 girly push-ups in a row without collapsing at the end. Go, go, go!

1 comment:

  1. Just popping in to say that I'm pulling for you! You can do this!

    ReplyDelete