Thursday, September 22, 2011

SWEEPING GENERALIZATION

Since I began my copious doctor’s visits back in 2004 for depression and depression-managing pills, I have been told many false things about “dealing” with depression.

  • If the source is not from an event or incident or person in your life, there is no cure.
  • Sometimes medication is the only way to manage depression and you will have to stay on it for the rest of your life to function like a “normal” person.

This is complete bullshit.

I am angry beyond words at how readily doctors dispense pills instead of deeply examining the roots of the problem. It is ENTIRELY possible (and I believe this is the true cause) that the seemingly “biological” depression, that is, inherited through family genetics or predisposition, can be CURED through proper diet and supplementation to accommodate for genetic predispositions (which I don’t believe to be for things like DEPRESSION, but rather, maybe, difficulty in absorbing VitD or just a predisposition for some sort of mineral/essential protein deficiency). The food we eat DIRECTLY affects those deficiencies and if you eat properly (for yourself, not everyone can follow the same diet and feel optimal), I believe you can overcome all of your “disease” obstacles.

I apologize for being preachy, but it saddens me more than ever that so many people go through their lives without looking into the root of their problems. Heart disease, cancer, depression and other practically “unpreventable” diseases (if you’re “pre-disposed” to them) were not once so rampant, and there’s a reason for it: a change in food production, sources, and types. Why doctors don’t ever look into this (in my experience, like I said, this is a sweeping generalization) is beyond me.

I’m not saying it’s easy. Extra Vitamin D may not fix your problems, but it could help. I’m not saying I’ve cured my depression (yet). But I do think that starting with your lifestyle, the food you eat and the way you live, will help more than any powdered or cold-pressed pill could.

People used to encourage me to take pharmaceutical depression & anxiety remedies, telling me that it’s just like having a heart condition: you shouldn’t deny yourself the pills that will help you. MAYBE they’ll help you. MAYBE you’ll have terrible side effects. Messing with brain chemistry so directly is incredibly dangerous. MAYBE it’s effective for some, but if you’re looking for alternative ways to treat your condition, most likely it’s not up to par for you and you’ve already tried changing the dose/medication. MAYBE it’s time to look into other solutions. Examine your life: what have you tried changing? What has helped? What hasn’t?

MAYBE I shouldn’t deny myself the opportunity for a natural solution. To teach my body to naturally regulate my serotonin levels instead of forcing them. I will not deny myself health.

5 comments:

  1. It completely sucks that those were the kind of things you heard from your doctors etc about what will or wont help/cure depression. I would strongly suggest talking to your PCP about this ASAP. Bloodwork can be analyzed, tested, etc. so if there are imbalances you can fix, they will be pointed out. I'm sure a nutritionist would be equally as helpful at explaining more possible options, specifically related to foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blood tests at the doctors have never revealed anything and nutritional deficiencies in things like healthy fatty acids. The fact that nutrition could have an affect on mental health is not widely accepted among physicians so the kind of tests that might reveal the issue are just not done. "Adrenal fatigue" is the catch-all term that is not recognized by all doctors as what happens when your system overloads or uses up its store of essential nutrients (like serotonin) but for whatever reason, can't build those stores back up.

    I would be interesting in speaking to a nutritionist if I could afford it, but I can guarantee they will recommend a wheat-heavy diet, and if I tell them that wheat is problematic for me, I can guarantee that they will recommend gluten-free grains, which I'm not interested in. Okay, not guarantee, but I'm highly skeptical of doctors now. They've been little help to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what the interesting thing is, you've never liked taking the meds to go with it all. You've always been the one person I knew who was like... heyy why do I have to do this? Isn't there a better way..

    And now you've found something that's going to give you that "better way" which is beyond rad because after how many years of being told "no there isn't" you're not just proving them wrong but you're also taking your life into your own hands.

    So yay :-) I'm always here if you need me <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Liz :) It's true that I've always VERY BEGRUDGINGLY gone to meds for the solution. I wish that other people would question it more. I remember arguing with my doctors about their studies of how effective the pills were and that they have an agenda...there's no winning there, but it amuses me to think of teenage-me seeking the better way. Of course, then I mostly thought it was about the way I think and now I think that's only part of it. Pills can't change the way you think, therapy can, and I did that for years without much improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello, i saw a comment of yours of Laini Taylor's blog and decided to visit.

    Depression runs in my family, but I only am mildly affected by it, not enough to warrant seeing a doctor. At the same time, I find myself completely unable to function about once a week or so due to A LOT OF SADNESS. I can usually do a lot of things to make myself feel better, so I think you have a good point. Depression sucks, however mildly I have it, and I hope you can recover asmuchaspossible.

    ReplyDelete