Tuesday, November 03, 2009

"Sparse" poetry

I've been really enjoying writing "sparse" poetry lately.  For me, the idea behind this poetry is that you get a vague idea of a story, or a theme, but you are left to interpret it in your own way.  It's really meant to be interpreted in its vagueness.  Some poetry should not be interpreted, but merely appreciated, I think.


For this week's "sparse" poem, I give you...

---

The spark of a freshly washed
sock ignited a war
of t-shirts and boxers thrown
across the concrete room.

We had sex on the warm laundry
and didn't
wash the clothes
after.

In these moments in time,
we are static.

---

Titled tentatively "When I Miss You", originally "Static".  Btw, I have not had sex on warm, clean laundry, but it sounded like a nice, spontaneous location.  I think this "sparse" poetry uses my voice well.  My poetry is generally identifiable by a very easy to understand voice and only necessary vocabulary.  Here, I get the bare minimum with something powerful hidden underneath.  I mean, I think, anyway.   I worry that it doesn't stand alone well, without reading some of my other work (which you can, here: on my deviantART profile).

No comments:

Post a Comment